We had booked this week off work in order to move the boat down from Dobson’s Wharf to our new mooring in Newbury Marina, but we hadn’t accounted for the weather! We’d booked a Helmsman’s Course with Tim from Watercraft Training – today on his boat at Calcutt Marina and then Day Two on our boat on Thursday, after the move down. We were snowed in at home last Friday and it looked very unlikely that we would be able to do the training or move the boat this week! We decided, as the hotels were booked and the week off work was booked, that we may as well go ahead and hope the weather turned a bit warmer to allow us to complete some, if not all of our plans. So, first day of our Helmsman’s course today and it was touch and go whether we’d be able to do it due to the ice still on the canal. The weather and canal were on our side, though, there was enough clear water to go a short distance, including a couple of locks – we even had a lovely bit of sunshine. It felt great to be steering a narrowboat again! We learnt a few good tips and Tim was quite complementary of our existing skills. We also received a phone call mid afternoon to say that it looked favourable to move the boat from Dobson’s to Shardlow tomorrow, ready for the crane out on Wednesday, so it was all looking good. A good day!!